You’d have to be walking around with your head in a bucket not to notice the rise in mobile marketing opportunities. Then, as if we needed any convincing, the recent Google report “Our mobile planet: Australia” came along and threw up the following stats:
- Australia is the world leader in smartphone adoption
- 2 out of 3 Australians who bought a new phone in 2012 went for a smartphone.
- 61% of mobile users are unlikely to return to a site that they’ve had trouble accessing from their phone
BUT – here’s the catch - in a recent study, Stamford Interactive revealed that less than 75% of leading Australian businesses don’t have mobile-friendly websites.
Hm. So it’s likely that this one’s going to crop up on your business’ agenda sometime soon. Here are a few simple checks (from an awesome article by Shreesha Ramdas in DM Confidential) to help you determine how much of a priority a mobile site should be for you this year:
- Check your website traffic. What percentage of people accessed it from their mobile devices?
- Check your top 5 keywords on Google Analytics: what % of their searches were via mobile devices?
- If you run a e-newsletter, what percentage of recipients opened it on their mobiles?
Now here’s the acid test: take two minutes to view your website on your smartphone (or someone else’s). What’s it like to navigate? More than anything, that will tell you whether a new mobile site should be on your 2013 wish list.
Want to further improve your mobile marketing efforts? To help you out, we've listed the 12 must-have tools that every marketer needs in this handy guide - download it today!