We recently had a couple of great PR hits for a clever client of ours. So while we’re still feeling all puffed up about it, we thought we’d share the love with 6 top tips for getting great cut-through with your press releases. Here goes :
1. What’s your story? Remember it’s the story that sells, and that’s all these guys are interested in. While big news will always get you in, it doesn’t need to be huge: often a small, human-interest element will get you through the door just as well.
2. As always, if you haven’t got anything to say, keep silent. Yes it’s good to keep up a regular flow of news, but really, nothing is more dull than a non-story.
3. Fill a gap. Try and understand the publications you’re trying to target: what sort of news are they interested in? Have they got any particular hobbyhorses or themes you could piggyback?
4. Try a mixture of news and quotes – either from someone in the company or an outside source. They just add a different perspective and change the tone and pace of the piece.
5. Look out for the tone of the press release: sure it needs to be positive and upbeat, but it also needs not to appear too salesy. It should always look as though it has been written by an impressed – but impartial – observer.
6. Don’t forget the no-brainers: The contact details at the top, the release date and the headline.
That’s it. So get writing and have fun!
Want to learn about the different types of brands to help write your press releases? Download our free "Explorer, Hero or Outlaw: Which archetype is your brand?" ebook today.
Brand chemistry is a strategic brand agency. With more than 10 years experience building brands, we know what it takes to stand out amongst your competitors. Take a look at our client case studies to find out more.